[lltx] fontspec test suite

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 18:25:32 CEST 2010

On 04/06/2010, at 11:59 PM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> This explains the difference in the output format. Unfortunately, I'm not sure
> how to reliably handle this.

Easy :) Update my version.
Unfortunately MacPorts is a big pain to use and everything must be compiled from scratch.
And ImageMagick uses *a lot* of dependencies.

Hence the delay on this message.

I've now updated the Makefile for the newer version of ImageMagick but the numbers are all a hack.
Maybe now it will work?

BTW, the reason that you get "rounding errors" or whatever I was calling them, is that the PDFs must first be converted to PNG (with a specific resolution) before being compared. Imperceptible changes in glyph placement can affect how the image is discretised, and you can end up with a line of pixels, say, (or sometimes just a single pixel) that have ended up being generated differently.

There might be some antialiasing effects that're compounding the problem but I haven't looked into ImageMagick enough to know if that's the case (and if so, how to turn it off).

>>> Or maybe we can combine both modes: ship the .safe.pdf files (I think they are
>>> valuable) and allow a (local) regression-testing mode. It should be doable by
>>> adjusting the location of the reference files depending on the target.
>>
>> That's a good idea.
>>
> But it makes more work for you :-)

Remind me if I forget, but that doesn't seem like toooooo much work.

-- Will