[lltx] German Hypenation broken in LuaLaTeX for TL2010

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Jul 15 14:59:01 CEST 2010

Am Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:21:32 +0200 schrieb Elie Roux:

>> Sorry, I didn't know I was supposed to use Babel with (Lua|Xe)LaTeX.

> actually you are supposed to use Babel with pdfLaTeX and LuaLaTeX, and
> polyglossia with XeTeX.

It depends on the language: babel works mostly fine for xelatex and
lualatex when used with languages with westerns scripts like french,
german etc. With languages with other script like e.g. russian or
greek you will in any case have to redefine all the fixed names. And
you will also have to handle the font encoding. With russian e.g.
you can get away by defining \cyrillicencoding to EU2 (or EU1 with
xetex):

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{luaotfload}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Arial Unicode MS}
\def\cyrillicencoding{EU2}
\usepackage[russian]{babel}
\begin{document}
%
%\tableofcontents
\section{^^^^0444 ^^^^0433}
\end{document}

But in greek.ldf the encoding LGR is fixed, so you will have to
redefine more commands.

So I would certainly not say that one should use babel with lualatex
in all cases - and a lualatex compatible version of polyglossia is
really missing for a lot of languages.

--
Ulrike Fischer