[lltx] German Hypenation broken in LuaLaTeX for TL2010

ulrik.vieth at arcor.de ulrik.vieth at arcor.de
Thu Jul 15 13:10:33 CEST 2010

> Hi,
>
> Le 15/07/2010 02:32, Ulrik Vieth a écrit :
> > I noticed that some recent updates of hyph-utf8 in TL2010 Pretest
> > seem to have broken German hypenation in LuaLaTeX.
>
> Well, not so recent (June 1st or so), but anyway...

I suppose you are right. I probably got confused what I tested where.
I only installed TL2010 pretest last weekend and I was so obsessed
with testing math, that I may not have looked at hypehenation yet.

> Wrong. There is such a mechanism. \bbl at patterns has been patched to use it.
> Apparently polyglossia is not using this macro to load patterns (which
> would make sense, since the pattern pre-loading system is from babel).

Sorry, I didn't know I was supposed to use Babel with (Lua|Xe)LaTeX.
I was under the impression that babel was for old 8-bit TeX engines only
while polyglossia was required for Unicode TeX engines.

If this is not the case, I could happily switch to Babel just as well.
Any solution that works across formats for (Lua|Xe)LaTeX would be fine.

> Well, a new solution is provided, but we forgot to check if it would work
> with polyglossia. OTOH, polyglossia is not officially supporting LuaTeX...

Yes, I realize using polyglossia with LuaLaTeX was only a quick hack.
Nevertheless, it would certainly benefit from adding \ifluatex / \ifxetex
to make it run with both engines.

> Would it be okay for you to use a modified language switching macro with
> polyglossia? If so, I can provide you with such a macro (just give me a
> test file, so that I can test it).

I can give it a test tonight.  I don't have my test files at hand right now.

Regards, Ulrik