[lltx] luaextra

Manuel Pegourie-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Jan 11 13:48:51 CET 2010

Khaled Hosny a écrit :
>> But anyway, I think having the ConTeXt libraries easily loadable
>> without ConTeXt by duplicating them would be a good idea...
>
> So, what I suggest is to strip the modules out of luaextra.lua and
> replace it with a bunch of require("luaextra-*.lua") calls, and have the
> modules separately. If this OK, I can work on it (once having write
> access to the git repository).

Seems like a good idea to me. I added you to luatextra, so you can easily push.

FYI, I was planning to split luatextra in two parts:
1. luatexbase, comprising extended registers, attribute and catcodetable
allocation, as well as lua module loading, and luamcallback. There would be
a luatexbase package loading all of them, but it would be possible to load
each part independently, for programmers wanting to minimze dependencies
2. all the rest (luaextra, and the remaining bits bits in luatextra).

So, once this splitting will be done, you can load just luatexbase-mods (lua
module loading part) then require"luaxtra-foobar" for some value of foobar,
with no additional code being loaded.

The idea is to make luatexbase as small and clean as possible so that
programmers can load it in all documents without worrying. OTOH, luatextra
would what users load if they want all benefits of lualatex without worrying
(just as we currently load xltxtra under xelatex).

Manuel.

PS: I'll push tonight the beginning of my work on this splitting. I'll post
back here when I think the result is ready.