[lltx] microtypography

Elie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Fri Feb 12 17:25:48 CET 2010

Hello,

Following a discussion with Paul Isambert, I asked Hans today about
microtypography, and he released a new ConTeXt beta containing the
necessary code for slanting, extending (we already had these), expansion
and protrusion; and Khaled merged it in the git repository (see
http://github.com/mpg/luaotfload/commit/fc4ceb016698207125b66ab35af1e306b117993c).
This is a great milestone and I'm sure it will make more users use
luaotfload, as XeTeX does not support microtypography.

Next job is to integrate it into fontspec, with a warning when activated
under XeTeX?

The question I wanted to ask is whether we should enable it by default
in luaotfload or not... Not so many people know what protrusion means,
but if they knew I'm sure 99% of them would want it, so it seems logical
for me to enable this kind of features by default, with of course
options to unactivate it. I don't really see any disadvantage, except a
different rendering between XeTeX and LuaTeX, which is not really a
disadvantage for me... What do you think?

Thank you,
--
Elie