[lltx] fontspec CTAN release

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 07:37:59 CET 2010

On 13/02/2010, at 10:16 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> AFAIC, luaotfload can now load system fonts (which is different from
> cached fonts that is yet to be implemented), currently the font
> database generating script is too memory consuming (on my system with
> ~3000 fonts installed, it eats no less than 1GB of memory), luatex is
> leaking memory here and this need to be fixed. What is missing is the
> ability to launch the script from fontspec if no font database is
> available or if the asked font is missing from the database, this
> shouldn't be hard to implement, but I guess we can release fontspec 2.0
> without it.

Sorry for my terminology confusion.

Let me just clarify... in LuaTeX one can access system fonts if you have ConTeXt installed and run

    mtxrun --script font --reload

right?
But until then something like this will still fail:

    \font\1="TeX Gyre Termes" at 10pt\1

I think the roadmap right now should be

1. Release fontspec with LuaTeX support & only "external" fonts
2. Improve the tools in LuaLaTeX to access system fonts
3. Add system font support to fontspec