[lltx] luamicrotype?

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Tue Feb 23 11:38:32 CET 2010

Élie Roux wrote:
> 2010/2/23 Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com>:
>>
>> 1. font expansion and/or protrusion should be globally switchable, which lends itself more to a package like microtype than for specific font loading in fontspec
>
> Agreed, but as fonts will be loaded with fontspec, luamicrotype (or
> whatever) will have to interact with it and fontspec will have to
> provide a way to load a font with microtypographic options...

I’d really love \fontspec[microtype]{my font}. Would that be possible to
implement? …

>> 2. if people go to the effort of creating and distributing protrusion settings for different fonts, then they should be loaded by default -- although whether protrusion should be active or not should be entirely up to the user
>
> Agreed! What I imagined more precisely is this:
>  - the user loads luamicrotype

This might not be a good idea. As Will statet, less packages are better.
So if the user had to load something for microtype, it should be
microtype (which then could check for the engine and load luamicrotype).

>  - luamicrotype sets \pdfprotrudechars2 \pdfadjustspacing2 and tells
> fontspec to have the default option Protrusion = Auto
>  - fontspec loads all new fonts with luaotfload with the option +protrusion=auto
>  - luaotfload, when it sees the 'auto' options calls a function (we
> can imagine something like callback.create) to retrieve the protrusion
> settings for the font, and luamicrotype provides it through this
> callback
>
> What do you think about this?

Sounds good for the interna. But not really good for a user that should
not load more than needed. If anything regarding fonts could be done via
fontspec it would be great for the user. Maybe a swith \setmicrotype
similar to \setmainfont could be possible?

>> 3. these two points above lead me to think that specific expansion/protrusion settings should be somewhat "invisible" to most fontspec users; is this similar to what happens in ConTeXt?
>>
>> 4. however, if the relevant parts of microtype and fontspec are amenable to being merged together, I'm certainly not opposed to a hybrid package; the less packages to be loaded the better, IMO. But I don't want to step on microtype's toes if separating the packages is better for maintenance and development.
>
> I guess so... though It's starting to smell like LaTeX 2.5 (the idea
> of which I totally agree with) ;-)

I’m looking forward for this version! :)

cheers
Arno