[lltx] fontspec CTAN release

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 09:11:42 CET 2010

On 14/02/2010, at 5:47 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> Yes, but we don't use that any more (it will not even work), instead one
> can use the luaotfload-fonts.lua script from git, it'll generate and
> install a font database with all the needed info (names, styles and
> optical sizes).

Like this?  `luatex --lua luaotfload-fonts.lua`
I get an error:

luaotfload-fonts.lua:127: attempt to index a nil value

Sorry if I'm being dense right now...

>> But until then something like this will still fail:
>>
>>    \font\1="TeX Gyre Termes" at 10pt\1
>
> And even \font\1="TeX Gyre Termes/B/S=10" (you can use any arbitrary
> style name too, "DeJaVu Sans/ExtraLight").
>
> This is already working, but not throughly tested (I did my best, but
> with font names you can expect all weired things).

I didn't know you'd got so far with this already, well done.
If this is actually working reasonably well, perhaps we can get it into fontspec straight away -- it will make documentation easier if both XeTeX and LuaTeX can access system fonts.

>> I think the roadmap right now should be
>>
>> 1. Release fontspec with LuaTeX support & only "external" fonts
>> 2. Improve the tools in LuaLaTeX to access system fonts
>> 3. Add system font support to fontspec

I've just pushed a few commits in fixing up stupid bugs of mine.
I wish right now I had a test suite to check what's working and so on.

If this version actually works in terms of loading features and scripts and languages, besides the list on the Issues page are there any other bugs or missing features you're aware of at the moment?

-- Will