[lltx] bidi package extended for LuaLaTeX

Vafa Khalighi vafa at users.berlios.de
Sat Apr 3 03:38:53 CEST 2010

> Essentially the same here, I'm fine with using tex macros for
> typesetting, I even find it a very powerful feature of tex, but using it
> to string manipulation or implementing algorithms etc. is something I'd
> never do in my right mind. Tex macro as an interface layer is fine too,
> but I'd rather strip it to the most minimum required.

We all know page breaking in TeX in unpredicted and any algorithm that has
to deal with page breaking is hard to implement even in lua, right? now,
 bidi has a feature that has to do with page breaking and it is automatic
footnote rule. If the first footnote in a page is RTL, the footnote rule is
on right hand side, no matter what other footnotes on that specific page are
and if the first footnote in a page is LTR, the footnote rule on that
specfic page is on the left hand side, no matter what other footnotes on
that page are. bidi implements this and  you always get the correct footnote
rule, there is no way that you get the wrong footnote rule. and this only
requires one run of latex. but there are similar packages which are
disappointed of doing this and requires two run of latex and they use a very
bad approach and that is writing to .aux. bidi implementation of automatic
footnote rule is a good example of how complex algorithms can be done by TeX
macros. If interested, look at footnote-bidi.def for implementation.

--
Best wishes,
Vafa Khalighi