[lltx] [luaotfload] Footnotes

Georg A. Duffner g.duffner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 23:08:23 CEST 2010

Am 2010-04-07 11:55, schrieb Khaled Hosny:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 11:05:26AM +0200, Georg A. Duffner wrote:
>> There seems to be a problem with footnotes when using luaotfload.
>> The footnotemark in the text is rendered smaller but not
>> superscript.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{luaotfload}
>> \begin{document}
>> Text\footnote{footnote text}
>> \end{document}
>>
>> The error:
>> ! Math error: parameter \Umathquad\displaystyle is not set.
>> \@ensuredmath #1->$\relax #1$
>>
>> l.8 Text\footnote{
>>                    footnote text}
>> Sorry, but I can't typeset math unless various parameters have
>> been set. This is normally done by loading special math fonts
>> into the math family slots. Your font set is lacking at least
>> the parameter mentioned earlier.
>
> Most likely this is because you've a TTF version of CM math fonts that
> luaotfload is trying to load, and it is lacking such parameters. If you
> are running debian, do you've either ttf-lyx or latex-xft-fonts packages
> installed?

Well, you are partly right. This minimal example is using CM TTF fonts
(and I have ttf-lyx installed, but not latex-xft-fonts). But the
following examples are showing the same error (see attached logfile of #1):

1. using “libertine” package with an adapted fd-file (see attachment)

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[EU2]{fontenc}
\usepackage{luaotfload}
\usepackage{libertine}
\begin{document}
Text\footnote{footnote text}
\end{document}

2. using Linux Libertine OTF with fontspec

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Linux Libertine O}
\begin{document}
Text\footnote{footnote text}
\end{document}

What I don’t understand: \textsuperscript sometimes does work and
sometimes it doesn’t. The following sequences behave differently when
inserted in the above examples:

a) Text\textsuperscript{a}\footnote{footnote text}\textsuperscript{2}
→ “a” small on baseline, “1” (footnote mark) small on baseline, “2”
superscript

b) Text\textsuperscript{a}\textsuperscript{2}
→ “a” small on baseline, “2” small on baseline

c) Text\textsuperscript{a\textsuperscript{2}}
→ “a” superscript, “2” supersuperscript, no error.