[lltx] [luaotfload] Footnotes

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 02:39:47 CEST 2010

On 09/04/2010, at 2:37 AM, Khaled Hosny wrote:

>> One solution to this specific issue is to make the old font definition
>> syntax load only TFM fonts, and make loading system fonts only through
>> the extended syntax, so:
>>
>> \font\tenrm=ec-lmr10 at 10pt
>>
>> or the extended:
>>
>> \font\tenrm=file:ec-lmr10 at 10pt
>>
>> Will not consult font names database, so old code that expects TFM fonts
>> will continue to work as expected, while:
>>
>> \font\tenrm={name:Latin Modern Roman} at 10pt
>>
>> Would be required to load system (or texmf) fonts by name. What do
>> others think about this?
>
> Will, what do you think? As this would need a bit of work at fontspec,
> If it is OK, we (you :) can switch to the explicit "name:" and "file:"
> syntax right away (bot are already supported), later we can restrict
> old syntax to filename only lookup so things don't break.

If it can be abstracted inside fontspec, I think this is a good solution.
Let's implement it and try it out.

The following defaults will happen, I think:

\fontspec{Latin Modern Roman} % <- name
\fontspec{ec-lmr10}           % <- name
\fontspec{ec-lmr10.otf}       % <- file (from the extension)
\fontspec[Path]{ec-lmr10}     % <- file

([Path] is the same as [ExternalLocation].)

This is the same as currently happens, so I can't see any problems.

-- Will