[lltx] bidi package extended for LuaLaTeX

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Apr 2 18:27:16 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 11:04:12PM +1100, Vafa Khalighi wrote:

>     It doesn't work for me, and the users I care about, otherwise I would
>     have been using it and not bothering myself with luatex, why I need to
>     keep saying this?
>

> What is the problem with current status of bidi that does not work for you and
> the users that you care about? I am always have been open to new ideas, if
> there is any issue, it is always good to shout so we can make bidi package more
> bug-free.
>
> As I said before, xetex has isuue with specials in rl, other than that, there
> is nothing that luatex in terms of bidirectional typesetting can do but
> xetex+bidi package can not.

Specials is a big deal, having documents with broken links, annotations
etc. is a no no for me, and I mainly do interactive not print documents.
The other main issue is the need to explicitly support every package,
so if some package I need is not yet supported by bidi, then I'm left
alone in the cold. Lastly, supporting implicit bidi (AKA Unicode bidi
algorithm is very crucial, since part of my need is to typeset documents
written in other markup languages (e.g. DocBook) and converted on the
fly to tex, so I can't manually mark RTL runs of text (except by
manually post-processing it, which is not an option). There are other
limitations of xetex unrelated to bidi, but that is another issue.