[lltx] bidi package extended for LuaLaTeX

Vafa Khalighi vafa at users.berlios.de
Sat Apr 3 03:25:44 CEST 2010

> It can, but is it really needed (i.e. I can switch the whole package
> layout in very few lines of tex code in luatex, with tex-xet it needs
> hundreds of package specific macro redefinitions, one definitely can do
> the later with luatex too.)

You are only looking at bidi implementation from one side and that is just
using mainly RTL. Yes, if one wants to use mainly RTL, there is not much to
do because you have got \pagedir TRT to use. But I am afraid that is just a
narrow perspective, you have got also to consider other users who use RTL
partially, i.e. they mainly use LTR, but typeset some RTL text, then
\pagedir TRT does not make sense at all and they have got to typeset (just
as an example) tabular RTL sometimes. The bidi implementation needs to suit
everyone, and not just a group of people and this has unfortunately some
costs and that is definitely going to be macro programming for many
packages. You think bidi implementation is easy, but it is not. It is the
most complex and sophisticated matter in TeX, both logically and
technically.

--
Best wishes,
Vafa Khalighi