[latexrefman] sript-like vs cursive

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 18:53:00 CEST 2022

Dear Jim,

FYI, I raised the question on FCTT:

https://groups.google.com/g/fr.comp.text.tex/c/ZeRGngp0XkA/m/rRuNhtAZDQAJ

and I got a feedback from Jean-Côme Carpentier (who translated to French
the TeX Book for the Dunod publisher).

>From his feedback, my current opinion is now that we should use only the
what I propose:

--------8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<-------
@node Calligraphic
@subsection Calligraphic

@cindex calligraphic fonts
@cindex math calligraphic font
@cindex script fonts
@cindex fonts, script

Synopsis:

@example
\mathcal@{@var{uppercase-letters}@}
@end example

Use a script font, @dfn{math calligraphic}.

In this example the graph identifier is output in math calligraphic
font.

@example
Let the graph be \( \mathcal@{G@} \).
@end example

If you use something other than an uppercase letter then you do not get
an error but you also do not get math calligraphic output.  For instance,
@code{\mathcal@{g@}} outputs a close curly brace symbol.

    V.