[latexrefman] Trying to get back into it

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun May 23 23:19:17 CEST 2021

Hi Jim,

    In conjunction with that, I am asking if other people get encoding
    errors.

Yes, I do also.

    Any objection to converting those, or perhaps to adding a superfluous
      @documentencoding UTF-8
    at the start?

My personal preference would be to either alter the French text in the
English document to be valid UTF-8, or to replace the French text with
pointers to the locations in the French document. The French text also
make spellchecking problematic. Not always easy to ignore everything
that should be ignored.

I prefer no global @documentencoding -- and it wouldn't solve the
problem of non-UTF-8 French text. The global decl changes the Info
output in, for me, undesirable ways. But it's not important, do as you
prefer. --best, karl.