[latexrefman] About Font styles (unconditional commands)

Pablo González L pablgonz at educarchile.cl
Sat Dec 19 02:01:14 CET 2020

> [...] The most I can imagine doing is mentioning this fact and that
> there are also the koma-script classes which thus don't follow/provide
> everything in the manual.
I was referring to exactly that (excuse my bad English), has made
mention (and emphasis) that are obsolete commands and depend on each
class and are maintained by compatibility, but, the definition of these
is given, \rm for example

\DeclareOldFontCommand{\rm}{\normalfont\rmfamily}{\mathrm}

in the class 'article' and it is preferable to use that notation. I
have read several times in different Q&A forums that the use of '\bf'
should be avoided, for example, answers given by active members in the
TeX world, that's where the comment went.

>     3. The paragraph related to \emph is no longer valid :) according to
>     LaTeX News , February 2020 (texdoc ltnews, "Handling of nested
>     emphasis", p51).
>
> Well, it is still true by default. But the new features for nested
> emphasis should be mentioned, yes. Do you care to write a patch?
English is not my strong point (I am Spanish speaking), so here is my
best effort, I would just change:

Although it also changes fonts, the \emph{text} command is semantic,
for text to be emphasized, and should not be used as a substitute for
\textit. For example, \emph{start text \emph{middle text} end text}
will result in the start text and end text in italics, but middle text
will be in roman.

for:

Although it also changes fonts, the \emph{text} command is semantic,
for text to be emphasized, and should not be used as a substitute for
\textit. This command can be nested and applies automatic italic
correction, by default \emph{start text \emph{middle text} end text}
will result in the start text and end text in italics, but middle text
will be in roman.

As of the LaTeX February 2020 release, you can now specify for
arbitrary nesting levels how emphasis should be handled. The
declaration \DeclareEmphSequence expects a comma separated list of font
declarations corresponding to increasing levels of emphasis. For
example:

\DeclareEmphSequence{\itshape,\upshape\scshape,\itshape}

uses italics for the first, small capitals for the second, and italic small
capitals for the third level.

Saludos
Pablo