[latexrefman] First submission (text file attachment)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Oct 9 23:24:04 CEST 2018

Hi Bob - thanks for this work. It's nice.

    \skip

I know this was listed as todo (sorry), but I somehow feel that \skip
(and \skipdef) should not be documented for LaTeX. Aren't people
supposed to use \newlength?

Also, as you know, TeX has a bunch of classes of register (count, dimen,
skip, muskip, toks, boxes). Documenting them all seems one step below
what LaTeX users or programmers should need. \new... should suffice?

        \smash ...
	Usage (from 'The TeXbook' p. 178):

Your description seems good to me, but we shouldn't quote substantial
text from The TeXbook (or anywhere else nonfree, or more precisely,
incompatibly licensed).

	This macro uses \smash, because - (minus) has the same height as
	+ (plus).

.. in the CM fonts. I don't know what happens with \relbar when other
fonts are used that don't follow CM's math-character-concatenation
conventions ...

Thanks again,
Karl