[latexrefman] latex-info Lengths

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 06:15:51 CEST 2018

Hello Jim,

I fully agree that this is a LaTeX manual, not a TeX manual.

My point was that if \day, \month and \year are documented in the
manual, then we should explain why the user can't format them like
\theday or \Roman{day} because these are not LaTeX counters — the
current text is unclear to that extent.

Or rather we should say that one never needs to use them directly as
there are packages like datetime2 to provide the formatting that one
needs. And if none of the formats of datetime2 are suitable, then this
means that some TeX programming is needed to extend datetime2, and this
is out of scope of this manual, and we could give some pointer at some
TeX manuals (maybe a node should be dedicated to that, there is a very
good one here
http://www.lulu.com/shop/christian-tellechea/apprendre-à-programmer-en-tex/paperback/product-21816783.html,
I am not sure it was yet translated to English or German… ).

As for the scope of declarations, I think that this is not a matter of
contrasting LaTeX to TeX. Anyway, if you were considering LaTeX as a
stand-alone language processed by a compiler independant from TeX —
e.g. HeVeA or Tralics — then you would anyway have to document what sort
of scope the counter/command/length definitions have.

   Vincent.