[latexrefman] \@startsection

Hefferon, James S. jhefferon at smcvt.edu
Mon Jul 31 15:37:39 CEST 2017

> Concerning the document structure again, having a look at what we have
before you moved \@startsection in another place, I think that there is
a problem that we are in chapter II (Overview of LaTeX), and we start
speaking about some advanced features like \makeat... and @-commands.

I am of two minds.  One is that I'm not convinced the \makeatletter .. stuff goes there (but I don't have a better idea).  The other idea is that this is a reference manual and it is not obliged to order things by difficulty in the same way that an introduction would.  If covering something requires mention of a tricky point then in a tutorial I'd omit the tricky point, while in a reference I'd include it.

Perhaps this fits with my question about \MakeUppercase, that we might be due for a little reflection on organization?  Not too much though, I hope.  :-)

Jim

I must be permitted to say there could not be greater Regularity nor more cool determined Conduct shewn by Men, than by the Crew of the Speedy.
   -- Lord Thomas Cochrane,  1801, May