[latexrefman-discuss] Fwd: REVIEW REQUEST - user manual generation

Gavin Smith gavinsmith0123 at domain.hid
Mon May 9 21:27:12 CEST 2016

On 9 May 2016 at 20:21, Gavin Smith <gavinsmith0123 at domain.hid> wrote:

>> I guess that with all those changes, but except for the space that is a
>> deep tex engine limitation, only the Devil could find a valid filename
>> not working.
>>
>>    Vincent.

I was going to say, I don't think it's important to support spaces in
filenames. (texi2dvi "My Manual.texi" won't work, for example.) The
main problem is spaces in higher-level directories, but they shouldn't
be a problem any more now we use absolute paths less. I'd say that
supporting unusual filenames isn't important. There was already
support for tildes (~) in filenames (Debian used them for some
reason), but the other characters are easy to avoid by avoiding using
them in the filename. Nonetheless it's good that you found a way to
support them - it makes texi2dvi slightly more robust for unexpected
circumstances. It's good that much of this code isn't used if the
filename doesn't contain any unusual characters; this reduces the
likelihood of something breaking.