[latexrefman-discuss] Makefile upgrade

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at domain.hid
Fri Apr 8 15:15:53 CEST 2016

Le 07/04/2016 20:30, Karl Berry a écrit :
>     to submit it to discussion prior to comitting the change.
>
> Thank you.
>
> I can't even begin to think about this for quite a while, Vincent.  (TeX
> Live pretest will be all-consuming for some time.)  In general, I find
> your work to have the same goals as mine, but you approach things in
> completely different ways that are hard for me to understand.

It is unavoidable that pouring some many new things into the Makefile,
and making this in a way that is as generic as possible --- so that all
the language can benefit from them and adding new languages is easy ---
makes the Makefile harder to understand.

The Make language that polyglots shell directives and make directives
together does not really makes things easier to understand, all the more
that bash also use $ as a variable dereferenciator, so you have to
escape it.

> So I prefer you commit this as a different file, like Makefile.vb or
> something, and leave my Makefile alone for now.  -k

Ok, I commited the new makefile as Makefile.1, then I just did

alias make='make -f Makefile.1'

in the same session. I did the upload of the French translation to
CTAN. I created an entry to the NEWS file for that.

I will also release the Spanish version when times allows, mainly just
to create the latex2e-help-texinfo-es CTAN package, because the only
significant addition is the description of the filecontents
envrionment. Probably in the end we need separate NEWS file for each
language.

I assume that I should then also release the English version to CTAN ---
do I need to use the dist or the dist-en target for that --- I presume
the dist-en should be used as your intention was to have each language
as a separate package.

   V.