[latexrefman-discuss] \protect, Mysterious error about missing closing round bracket

Karl Berry karl at domain.hid
Sat Feb 6 01:07:32 CET 2016

    Any suggestions ?

\verbatim comes to mind as something unlikely to ever be robust in L2E.
I suggest we switch the example to use that.

I'm surprised \raisebox was ever fragile.  That doesn't make sense to me.

    I propose to change the example to some hand-made stuff like this (the

If there was a simple way to construct a fragile command, that would be
ok.  But I don't think there is.  More or less by definition, a fragile
definition makes use of low-level stuff like changing catcodes or
\futurelet, doesn't it?  And we don't want to talk about those since
they aren't part of LaTeX.  -k