[latexrefman-discuss] *The* solution is to type @code{@{@}} after the command and before the space.

Karl Berry karl at domain.hid
Tue Feb 2 00:39:26 CET 2016

Hi Vincent,

    So, I don't mind if the paragraph about xspace is removed altogether
    from the manual.

I replaced the details about it with a mere mention that it exists.

    Only control words gobble the following spaces, control symbols

Yes, I am well aware of this :).  I have been trying to avoid using
those terms, though not for any overriding reason.  I was just being
lazy in saying "control sequence".  I changed it to "alphabetic control
sequence", which is at least somewhat more correct, and took out the
"command".

There is plenty more to be done in this area, and all others.  In
addition to things you mention, I think it \SPACE and \@ should be
described (fully) in separate nodes, not glommed together.  (Reference
manual vs. user manual again.)

Beyond that, I think it would be actually be a better use of time to add
more of the missing control sequences from latex2e to the manual than
anything else.

Out of time for anything more today though ... -k