[latexrefman-discuss] *The* solution is to type @code{@{@}} after the command and before the space.

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at domain.hid
Sun Jan 31 14:58:52 CET 2016

Answers embedded below...

Le 31/01/2016 00:21, Karl Berry a écrit :
>     Well, this is not *The* solution,
>
> Certainly true.
>
>     1) follow the command by an explicit space `\ '
>
> I added a little text about that (and changed the wording).  Committed.
>
>     2) Use package xspace, and tail the definition of command by \xspace.
>
> I'm not sure about mentioning xspace in our manual here; it's not part
> of core LaTeX, and can cause hard-to-track-down errors.  So I left it
> out for the moment, though I don't feel that strongly about it.
>
> A bigger issue is that the whole story of ignoring spaces after control
> sequences has nothing to do with \newcommand.  Thus the description
> should be somewhere in the basic syntax description, with an xref in the
> \newcommand and \typeout nodes.  But I couldn't deal with that today.

I totally agree, that needs a specific node. Sorry for the disturbance,
as I just realize that we already have these nodes:

- (info "(LaTeX2e-fr) Spaces")
- (info "(LaTeX2e-fr) \(SPACE) after CS")

The latter is a subnode of the former, and already contains some
reference to xspace --- which indeed I had added.

As I am still in the translation process, I don't always remember which
addition I have really done, and which I have in mind, but not yet done.

  Vincent.