[latexrefman-discuss] \newenvironment (non starred) vs \newenvironment* (starred)

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at domain.hid
Tue Nov 10 10:00:57 CET 2015

>>  encouraging the starred form, arguments of environments should not
>>  contain multiple paragraphs.
>
> Some environments should not, others should.  I don't see any reason to
> either encourage or discourage either form in a reference manual.  It
> should describe the facts of what's available.  -k

Well, one of the factual facts is that when you don't need paragraphs in
the argument, then telling it to LaTeX helps you locating easier and
quicker any error. TeX will give out a more explicit error message
because the error is detected earlier in the compilation. This is
exactly what Manuel wrote here:

https://elzevir.fr/imj/latex/tips.html#ncstared

So this is a judgement, but it is based on facts.

Also discouraging eqnarray is another judgement:

https://elzevir.fr/imj/latex/tips.html#eqnarray

When there are facts why one should do this way or not this way,
shouldn't we give these facts, that is the purpose of LaTeX tabus...

http://www.ctan.org/pkg/l2tabu-english

For instance, should we update \sloppy node to indicate that some people
consider it a LaTeX taboo ?

  Vincent.