[latexrefman-discuss] \newenvironment (non starred) vs \newenvironment* (starred)

Johannes Böttcher johannesbottcher at domain.hid
Fri Nov 6 17:27:09 CET 2015

On 11/06/2015 04:38 PM, Vincent Belaïche wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Trying to update the translation of node \newenvironment &
> \renewenvironment, I noted a discrepancy:
>
> English version:
>
>     Unlike @code{\newcommand} and @code{\renewcommand}, the
>     @code{*}-forms @code{\newenvironment*} and @code{\renewcommand*} have
>     the same effect as the forms with no @code{*}.

Shouldn't that be `@code{\renewenvironment*}' in the second line of that
block?

We can also look into source2e.pdf and latex.ltx to see that the former
text was correct.

     \def\renewenvironment{\@star at domain.hid}

I am in favour of encouraging the starred form, arguments of
environments should not contain multiple paragraphs. That's what the
body of the environment is for. But of course, this is just my opinion.

Johannes