[latexrefman-discuss] concerning node tabular, ``between the lines''

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at domain.hid
Fri Nov 6 10:57:05 CET 2015

Le 05/11/2015 19:24, Johannes Böttcher a écrit :
> I think `entry' has the meaning of both, row and cell here. Looking at
> \multicolumn, the row is referred to, looking at \vline, is would be
> the cell. But who ever uses \vline anyway?

Personnally I never use \vline, but only in the context of defining a
new specifier with \newcolumntype and redefining | that could be
useful. For instance

\newcolumntype{|}{!{\vrule width 1.5pt}}% redefine
\newcolumntype{I}{!{\vline}}
\begin{tabular}{|lIl|}
  a&b\\
  c&d\\
\end{tabular}

Maybe it would be good to describe somewhere how to do thicker/thiner
rules, there is the booktab / easytable packages (I never use them...),
but also A. Kessi macro (see
http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/FAQ-LaTeX/7.5.html).

I have not checked ever package tabu, it probably also proposes things
for making (h|v)rules.

> Between cells, if the need ever arises, one would use `|'.  Adding
> this to the between/before/after confusion, i agree with you and would
> drop that half sentence.

Let us see what Karl writes, I agree that it may be useful to have such
a sentence, but I am concerned that then, every-time we need to add
a entry / reorder entries in the menu, this sentence needs rewording.

> Johannes

Vincent.

> On 11/05/2015 07:07 PM, Vincent Belaïche wrote:
>> I can read there:

[...]

>> I suggest to simply remove ", the first two inside an entry and the
>> second two between lines", unless anybody has a better wording.
>>

>> VBR,
>>     Vincent
>>
>> ---

---