[l2h] Some problems and patches for Windows

Shigeharu TAKENO shige at iee.niit.ac.jp
Tue Mar 10 01:59:43 CET 2020

shige 03/10 2020
----------------

Carsten Leonhardt <leo at debian.org> wrote:
| since commit 4e17471e51507782d9a36f571aa2fb89b968e916 (the first patch
| for windows support), the configure step gives me a warning (see
| below). The build result is still the same, with or without the patch
| (tested with diffoscope). I think the warning is misleading, as gs seems
| to work just fine, so there's seems to be no need to set GS_LIB
| manually.
|
| checking for ghostscript library and font paths... no
| Warning: Could not determine GS_LIB path.
|          Ghostscript may not work due to missing startup files.
|          You need to set the value of GS_LIB manually in cfgcache.pm.
| Hint:    Search for the file 'gs_init.ps'. This directory and the 'fonts'
|          directory (usually same level) should be set in GS_LIB.
|          Separate the entries with the ":" character. The current
|          directory "." should be included, too.

Thank for your reply. I also think it is not need to set GS_LIB
now. GS_LIB is used only in pstoimg.pin to set the environment
variable GS_LIB, which was needed by some version of old
ghostscript. Recent versions of gs know correct library path,
and the setting of GS_LIB manually may disturb the running of gs.
So the detection routine of gs lib and font path in config.pl may
not be need.

Instead, it may be need to detect the validity of png16 device of
gs, which is used in current latex2html.