[l2h] problems with verbatim environment, worse in 2019 version

bmassing at cs.trinity.edu bmassing at cs.trinity.edu
Thu Jun 27 01:21:27 CEST 2019

I'm trying out various uses of the "verbatim" environment to
display program code, something I often want to do in documents.
I notice that while this basically works -- what's inside the
environment gets wrapped in <PRE> .... </PRE>, which seems
sensible enough -- combining it with other environments works
less well.  In particular:

(*) If the "verbatim" is nested in "quote", as best I can tell the
"quote" environment is just ignored.  Plain text in a "quote"
environment works okay -- gets converted using BLOCKQUOTE --
so I'm a little puzzled by why the two can't be combined.

(*) If the "verbatim" is included in a floating figure, it gets
converted to an image.  I guess that would be okay if the
image was right, but ....

In the 2018 release, the code is more or less okay, except that
the first line is indented.

In the 2019 release, the code is pretty much a mess -- all on one
line, and in a large font.

(*) If the "verbatim" is followed by an \htmlrule, there's extra
space before the <HR>.

Are these behaviors bugs, or design decisions?  Right now none
of them is a big problem for my typical use cases, but it would
be nice to have workarounds, or fixes if feasible.

Semi-short example attached.  I compile with

latexmk   example-ssce2.tex
latex2html -no_navigation -split 0 -noinfo -no_footnode -no_math -antialias -image_type png -html_version 5.0  example-ssce2.tex

and for what it's worth, I use the 2018 version of LaTeX2HTML on
a system with the 2018 release of TeXlive, while the 2019 version
is on a system with the 2019 TeXlive.

-- blm

Dr. Berna L. Massingill
Associate Professor, Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place; San Antonio, TX 78212-7200
210-999-8138
bmassing at cs.trinity.edu