[l2h] Poor resolution for my .eps file contents in a .html file produced by LaTeX2HTML and viewed in a Web browser such as Konqueror

Pat Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 24 23:06:37 CEST 2011

Thanks once again for kindly taking the time to reply to me, Professor
Moore.  There are conceivable complications with permission in quickly
sending you and numerous other people in the LaTeX2HTML users group a copy
of the figure in a published book with which I was working.  I am in the
eastern United States of America.  About a couple of months ago I obtained
permission from the modern-day right holder, for a book copyrighted in 1969,
now in Oxford, The United Kingdom to send scanned copies of up to 25 pages
of the book in question to one recipient.   Instead of dealing with
obtaining permission to send a copy of a figure from that book to multiple
recipients, at 600 dots per inch (dpi) I scanned a copy of one of my own
drawings and caption on paper in both the Tagged Image File Format (.tif),
in an attached figure called TestFig.tif, and the Portable Document Format
(.pdf), in an attached figure called TestFig.pdf.  Using the Gnu Not Unix
(GNU) Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) 2.6.11 I made Encapsulated
PostScript (.eps) files of those figures, which are respectively the
attached files TestFigTif.eps and TestFigPDF.eps; in that process I probably
cropped the original figures.  Then in the attached LaTeX file
Throwaway11.tex I included those two .eps figures using the LaTeX epsfig
software package.  I executed a latex2html command on Throwaway11.tex to
produce Throwaway11.html and 11 other files which are all attached to this
e-mail letter.  On viewing Throwaway11.html in a Konqueror Web browser I
found the qualities of the two figures TestFigPDF.eps and TestFigTif.eps
quite acceptable!

Then I noticed that some lines or curves of letters in some mathematics type
in the book I was copying were probably thinner than the lines or curves of
the drawing on paper to which I referred in the previous paragraph here.  On
a "surface level" that could point to problems or complications associated
with the original source on paper rather than to LaTeX2HTML or the GIMP,
although to my human eye the type on the original book page was of excellent
visual quality.  But I found ways to adjust my Epson Stylus CX3810's
scanning program to deal with the thin-lined type on the page of the book in
question: In the Epson scanner program's "Professional Mode" 1) for the
"Auto Exposure Type" I probably switched from "Photo" to "Document."  2) For
the "Image Type" I switched from "Black and White" to "8-bit Grayscale."  I
still kept the resolution setting at 600 dots per inch (dpi).  Differences
with various choices of "Image Type" could even be seen in a "Preview" or
brief scan of the book page.  As a result  the full scan of the book page
took considerably longer than previously, but with a total scan time of
within a few minutes.  I guess that increased scan time might be a clue to
why I gratefully had success with the scanner program setting "8-bit
Grayscale" in the case of a thin-lined document!  I saved the scanned file
as a .pdf file with a size of 1.1 MiB (megibyte=2**20 bytes).  As a result
of the "8-bit Grayscale" setting I could see a blue or grey color near the
book-binding side of the page in the scanned image file of that book page.
In importing the .pdf file in the GIMP it might have been important to set
the resolution to 600 pixels/inch instead of some possibly lower default
setting.  In the GIMP I could crop away that unwanted grey or blue color by
clicking on the GIMP's select tool and then clicking on the image and
dragging the touch-pad pointer while holding down the left touch-pad button
to enclose the interesting portion of the image of the book page in a dashed
rectangle; then I could select "Image" and then "Crop to Selection" to
accomplish the cropping.  Via "Image" and "Rescale Image" or something
similar I could resize the image to the roughly 6.00-inch width I desired
while keeping the aspect ratio or proportions of the figure unchanged.  A
surprise for me was that the .eps file converted from this .pdf file using
the GIMP had a large size of 33.2 MiB.  In the GIMP I had to do something
unusual, namely as I was directed by the GIMP to export the file, which I
found I could do by clicking on an "Export" button before finally saving the
.eps file.  In my .tex file I changed the name of the .eps file I wanted to
include to match the new .eps file name I made using the GIMP.  Then after
executing latex .... and latex2html.... commands on that .tex file I
gratefully found that this time the new .eps file had very good visual
quality with minor graininess visible especially within the letter "H."  The
size of the folder produced by LaTeX2HTML was roughly equal to the 1.1-MiB
size of the .pdf file with which I started.  So apparently about 97 percent
or more of the contents of the 33.2-MiB .eps file were discarded in
LaTeX2HTML's process of generating the folder containing the output, .html
file.

I am grateful to now have a way to produce fairly good-quality figures in a
.html file using LaTeX2HTML from .pdf scans of printed paper converted to
.eps files using the GIMP.  But as the results in the first paragraph have
shown, the "Black and White" and probably "Photo" settings of my scanner
program were apparently adequate for lines and curves that were not very
thin in the original source.

So in retrospect thank you, Professor Moore, for your suggestion that I
provide you with one or more of my example files.  That suggestion and the
circumstance of a copyright were early steps which ultimately and gratefully
led me to a solution to the problem of how to generate fairly good-quality
figures in a .html file produced by LaTeX2HTML.

Pat