[l2h] l2h sometimes hangs in "Converting image #nnnn" on large files under cygwin

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Mon Jan 31 23:51:37 CET 2011

I am not sure if this is a cygwin/perl problem or l2h.

But sometimes I noticed that when I run l2h on large document which causes
hundreds of images to be generated (equations, symbols, etc...), then
I noticed l2h hands on

Converting image #665
Converting image #652
Converting image #519
Converting image #776  <----- hangs after here

no more output seen on the console. I can wait an hr and nothing
happens.  Have to do ^C and then I see message saying
"Latex2html shutting down...."

This does not seem to happen all the time.

Not sure how to go about finding what is the problem.

The command I am using now is

latex2html -link 4 -split 0 -toc_depth 8 -no_reuse -show_section_numbers -subdir foo.tex

The command above is indie a batch file which I run as

$./build.sh

This is latex2html 2008, running under cygwin.

$ which latex2html
/usr/local/bin/latex2html

$ latex2html -version
$* is no longer supported at /usr/local/bin/latex2html line 10588.
Note: Loading /home/me/.latex2html-init
Note: Initialising with file: /home/me/.latex2html-init
This is LaTeX2HTML Version 2008 (1.71)

$ which perl
/usr/bin/perl

$ perl -v
This is perl, v5.10.1 (*) built for i686-cygwin-thread-multi-64int

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 me-PC 1.7.7(0.230/5/3) 2010-08-31 09:58 i686 Cygwin

This could very well be a cygwin/perl problem, I've had few
problems with this before.

I'll try to copy everything to linux and try there to see. But
wanted to check if someone had seen such hangs before running
l2h like the above.

thanks
--Nasser