[l2h] latex2html example broken?!

alessandro basili alessandro.basili at cern.ch
Mon Aug 8 20:17:41 CEST 2011

It has been a while that I've been through this and I hoped to sort it
out myself but didn't manage so far.

I installed the following package:

[123 at pc456 789]$ latex2html -version
This is LaTeX2HTML Version 2008 (1.71)
by Nikos Drakos, Computer Based Learning Unit, University of Leeds.

on my Fedora Core 11, where latex is installed with the following version:

[123 at pc456 789]$ latex
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)

I did make the example (since I wanted to follow the segmentation
approach), but the link numbers on the report.html where wrong, while
everything was fine in the report.dvi and report.ps.
So looking at the make output I realized that perl had deprecated the $*
symbol and changed it with /m, so after some struggles I found this patch:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=latex2html-2008-match-multiline.patch&package=latex2html&project=Publishing&srcmd5=bc1b27d34720a95f26b71ffcd2f58dca

and applied it to my installation.
I got rid of all the warning for $* but still have a problem when the
report.aux is checked:

Processing macros ...,,,, *** Could not find argument for command
\providecommand ***
\HyPL at Entry[1]<<56>><<56>>

Any idea why this is happening?
Regards,