[l2h] Double-spacing command in a .tex file worked in a .dvi file using LaTeX 2e, but not in a .html file using LaTeX2HTML 1.70.

Pat Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 14 13:44:18 CEST 2010

Hello.  Using LaTeX2HTML 1.70 (year-2002 version) in an OpenSuSE-11.1, Linux operating system I wanted double spacing in a .html file produced from a .tex file of the form MyFile.tex by executing a command of the form "latex2html ...... MyFile.tex".  Toward that goal I tried the following two pairs of commands in a .tex file containing simplified-Chinese text, \usepackage{CJKutf8}, and at first multiple pairs of \begin{CJK}{UTF8{gbsn} and \end{CJK} commands:

1):

\usepackage{setspace}
..
..
\doublespacing
..
..

2):

\usepackage{setspace}
..
..
\setstretch{2}
..
..

I used the Web browser Konqueror 3.5.10 to inspect the contents of the .html files I produced.  For both 1 and 2 the results of executing a command of the form "latex MyFile.tex" were files of the form MyFile.dvi which correctly contained double-spaced text.  However, the result of executing a command of the form "latex2html ...... MyFile.tex" was a file of the form MyFile.html which, with the exception of an author and date in both English and simplified Chinese, was not double-spaced.  I presumed that multiple \doublespacing commands in the same .tex file would not have caused problems.

My next experiment was to not use Chinese software packages and simplified Chinese characters and see what happened with English-language text.  Using the above option 1 the spacing results for English-language text were the same as earlier when using simplified-Chinese text, namely double-spaced in the .dvi file and single-spaced in the .html file.

So with both English and Chinese text I found it was possible to obtain double-spaced text in a .dvi file.

Question I.  But what is a way in which I could have double-spaced, Chinese or English text in a .html file produced using LaTeX2HTML?

I imagine or wonder if there might be two types of solutions to produce double spacing in the .html file:

A) a set of LaTeX commands for double spacing internally in the .tex file and
B) externally in a latex2html command, a method which will enable double spacing from a .tex file which does not contain commands for double spacing.

But, of course, what I imagine and reality could be different.

Question II.  Or are there different results for 1 or 2 using either simplified-Chinese or English text and a more recent version of LaTeX2HTML?

Unless someone advises otherwise, with a currently working installation of LaTeX2HTML 1.70 I am hesitant to upgrade it in an OpenSuSE-11.1, Linux operating system using  probably version 3.5.10 of the K Desktop Environment (KDE).  With LaTeX2HTML's required software packages I suppose the safest way to upgrade LaTeX2HTML might be to install the newer version of LaTeX2HTML when installing, say version 11.2 or higher of the whole, OpenSuSE operating system onto a freshly formatted, but otherwise blank area of a hard-disk drive.

Question III.  Where on the Internet I may find thorough documentation for the use of LaTeX2HTML?

Thanks in advance for help.

Pat