[l2h] A sum in the denominator of a fraction didn't look quite normal.

Shigeharu TAKENO shige at iee.niit.ac.jp
Wed Nov 4 05:21:21 CET 2009

shige 11/04 2009
----------------

Pat Somerville wrote:
> \begin{equation}
> y=\sum_{i=1}^n x_i
> \end{equation}
>
> , it would look as it should after running a latex2html command on
> the .tex file with the "i=1" below the summation sign (capital Greek
> letter sigma) and the "n" above the summation sign.  But when a sum
> was arranged to be in the denominator of a fraction, say if I were to
>  type something like this:
>
> \begin{equation}
> y=\frac{1}{\sum_{i=1}^n x_i}
> \end{equation}
>
> , in the resulting latex2html, output, .html file the items
> corresponding to "i=1" and "n" were not respectively placed at the
> top and bottom of the summation sign.  Instead they were placed right
> after the summation sign, more like you might expect for the upper
> and lower limits following an integral sign.

I think this is not a question for latex2html but for LaTeX.

If you want the output such as the latter one for the first
source, you may do

\begin{equation}
  y=\textstyle\sum_{i=1}^n x_i
\end{equation}

If you want the output such as the first one for the latter
source, you may do

\begin{equation}
  y=\frac{1}{\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n x_i}
\end{equation}