[l2h] table cell spanning multiple rows

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at lambrate.inaf.it
Wed Feb 25 09:51:25 CET 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Ross Moore wrote:

> LaTeX2HTML does support a \multirow command, but the sytax is a little
> different to what the {multirow} package uses.

I haven't found a \multirow command in the version bundled with my SuSE
(doc labelled 99.1(beta)).

> There are ways to do what you want...

> [...] environments allow you to write documents that compile correctly
> with different processing engines.

I would consider that as a "last resort". I already have one case like
that, for instance to handle the \sf font not recognised in HTML as
quite contrived.

I found however a much simpler way which works. Using "p" columns in
tabular, and wrapping the multi-line column cell in a parbox. The
following snippet works and gives the look I want both in PDF and HTML.

\begin{tabular}[t]{|l|p{10cm}|}\hline
{\bf Language}     & {\bf Statements} \\\hline
\Fortran
& \parbox[t]{10cm}{\fortran{PROGRAM \textit{name}} \\
   \fortran{STOP}                  \\
   \fortran{END} }                 \\\hline
\Clang
& placeholder                     \\
\hline
\end{tabular}