[l2h] Unwanted black line segments under tall mathematicalexpressions in the OpenSuSE-11.1 Linux environment.

Pat Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 29 08:24:58 CEST 2009

Thanks, Shigeharu Takeno, for kindly taking the time to write to me.  For
LaTeX2HTML version 1.70 in OpenSuSE-11.1 Linux I found the file l2hconf.pm
that you mentioned with the path /usr/lib/latex2html/l2hconf.pm and learned
that the "pm" file extension refers to the Perl-module file type.  In that
file I found two lines reading close to what you wrote:

#$DVIPSOPT .=" -Pdpf" (perhaps with a ";" at the end of it, although I am
not sure of this)

and line 136 reading:

$DVIPSOPT= ' -Ppdf -E';

Note that the first of these two lines of code is already commented out with
a "#".  I commented out the line reading "$DVIPSOPT=' -Ppdf -E'" by placing
a # in front of it.  Then I saved the file l2hconf.pm and ran my latex2html
command on my .tex file of the form Myfile.tex.  As usual a folder with a
corresponding name of the form Myfile was produced containing .png (Portable
Network Graphics) images of mathematical quantities.  On inspection of the
contents of that folder, thankfully I did not find any .png images with
unwanted line segments either below or on the right sides of them!  When the
output file of the form Myfile.html, which makes use of those .png images,
was opened separately in the Konqueror-3.5.10 and Mozilla-Firefox-3.5.2 Web
browsers, no unwanted line segments were viewed there either associated with
those images.  So thankfully and thanks to you, the result was wonderful!
And it is now no longer necessary to postprocess images using the
Bourne-shell script eqnfix.sh, of which I earlier wrote, in order to remove
unwanted, black line segments from the .png images.  So this is the simple,
easy, and ideal solution!

One mystery remains, at this point a very minor one for me.  That is why
using LaTeX2HTML 1.70 with the same latex2html command on the same .tex file
in Fedora-Core-3 Linux in February of the year 2008 I did not have the
unwanted line segments and in OpenSuSE-11.1 Linux in August of 2009 I
initially did have them.  If the files l2hconf.pm were slightly different in
the two cases regarding $DVIPSOPT, that could explain the difference.  But
if that was not the case, the two different Linux environments would have to
explain the difference in performance.  In any case, I don't have to solve
this mystery now that, thanks to you, Shigeharu Takeno, I have a LaTeX2HTML
installation which does not produce the unwanted, black line segments.
Again thanks, Shigeharu Takeno, for your kindly taking the time to write me
with knowledgeable help!

Pat