[l2h] $* no longer supported error

Ioan Despi despi at turing.une.edu.au
Fri Aug 7 03:39:40 CEST 2009

Seb wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 15:23:45 +1000,
> Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> Hello Seb,
>> On 06/08/2009, at 11:06 AM, Seb wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> No. I think that no image types have been supported in your Debian
>> distribution of LaTeX2HTML --- not that there is nothing after the ':'
>> where it says 'This installation supports'.
>
>> (Also, I've seen a similar problem reported previously, though the
>> actual error message was a little different.)
>
>> Sorry I cannot advise you of what to do, as I don't use Debian at all.
>> Maybe someone else will offer specific advice.
>
> Following some leads, I found that the problems stems from a
> configuration file having:
>
> # -image_type
> # This specifies the type of images produced by latex2html when processing
> # unknown environments and/or e.g. math formulae.
> #
> @IMAGE_TYPES = qw();
> $IMAGE_TYPE  = $IMAGE_TYPES[0];
>
> So IMAGE_TYPES is empty.  Reading a bit, I managed to solve this by
> creating ~/.latex2html-init with:
>
> @IMAGE_TYPES = qw(png gif);
> $IMAGE_TYPE  = $IMAGE_TYPES[0];
>
> Strangely, this problem didn't occur in the past (I've been using
> latex2html for years).
>
> Thanks,

Hi there!

I have the same problem under Fedora 10.
My ~/.latex2html-init file contains:

@IMAGE_TYPES = qw(png gif);
$IMAGE_TYPE=$IMAGE_TYPES[0];
$DVIPSOPT= ' -E ';

Given a simple file:
despi at turing> cat q.tex
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\begin{itemize}
\item mmsams
\item sjgd
\end{itemize}
\end{document}

and compiling it produces:

despi at turing> latex2html q.tex
$* is no longer supported at /usr/bin/latex2html line 10588.
Note: Loading /homes/mscs/despi/.latex2html-init
Note: Loading ./.latex2html-init
Note: Initialising with file: .latex2html-init
This is LaTeX2HTML Version 2002-2-1 (1.71)....

Me too, I can't remember in the past this sort of error.
Any help will be appreciated.
Regards,

Ioan

--

   *   *   Dr. Ioan Despi

  * * * *  School of Science and Technology
* * * * * University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia

  * * * *  http://turing.une.edu.au/~despi   Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 2513

   *   *   despi at turing.une.edu.au           Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312