[l2h] $* no longer supported error

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Aug 6 07:23:45 CEST 2009

Hello Seb,

On 06/08/2009, at 11:06 AM, Seb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using the Debian sid distribution packages.  I'm getting the
> following error:
>
> ---<--------------------cut here---------------
> start------------------->---
> $ latex2html -local_icons -white -show_section_numbers -image_type
> png -bottom_navigation -notransparent -t "GMT -- Technical
> Reference and Cookbook" GMT_Docs
> $* is no longer supported at /usr/bin/latex2html line 10592.
> Error: No such image type 'png'.
>        This installation supports (first is default):
> ---<--------------------cut here---------------
> end--------------------->---
>
> And nothing else is reported after that, regardless of the verbosity
> level setting.  As far as I can tell, the message about '$*' not being
> supported comes from perl, but could this be causing the error?

No. I think that no image types have been supported in your Debian
distribution of LaTeX2HTML --- not that there is nothing after the ':'
where it says 'This installation supports'.

(Also, I've seen a similar problem reported previously, though the
actual
error message was a little different.)

Sorry I cannot advise you of what to do, as I don't use Debian at all.
Maybe someone else will offer specific advice.

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au