[l2h] custom_titles affects counters in image file

nlct at cmp.uea.ac.uk nlct at cmp.uea.ac.uk
Mon Jan 14 14:22:14 CET 2008

Hi,

When I used -custom_titles, the sectioning counters in the image file are
out by a factor of 2.

Minimal example:

\documentclass{report}

\author{Nicola Talbot}
\title{Test Document}

\begin{document}
\maketitle

\chapter{Introduction}

This is chapter~\thechapter. % This is fine

\fbox{This is chapter~\thechapter.} % counter value incorrect in image

\section{Sample Section}

This is section~\thesection. % This is fine

\fbox{This is section~\thesection.} % counter value incorrect in image

\end{document}

latex2html.init file:

$CUSTOM_TITLES=1;
sub custom_title_hook{
  my($title)=@_;
  &purify($title);
}

For every \chapter, the image file contains 2 \stepcounter{chapter}
(likewise for \section.)

I'm using LaTeX2HTML Version 2002 (1.67)

I've noticed that in &make_name if either $LONG_TITLES or $CUSTOM_TITLES
are set latex2html calls

&process_command($sections_rx, $_) if /^$sections_rx/;

(lines 9296 and 9302)

but &translate also has this on line 2304 regardless of $LONG_TITLES or
$CUSTOM_TITLES. Is it these lines that add \stepcounter{chapter} to the
image file?

Regards
Nicola Talbot