[l2h] how get LaTeX2HTML to work under Windows XP with LATEST distros?

nano mir vacuumir at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 21:52:12 CEST 2008

Hi all,
as this is the mail I found when I first searched in for XP and latex2html,
I'll try responding with my experiences from this thread.

I run WinXP, and I have installed Miktex, in C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.6 (so
in a path with spaces). I don't believe I have a separate version of
ghostscript installed. I have Texmaker installed and running OK.

I found a copy of perl on some installation of cygwin I've had, but that
didn't work for me - I had to install ActivePerl
(ActivePerl-5.10.0.1002-MSWin32-x86-283697.zip) in C:\Perl.

All the changes I had to make are in two patch files, generated by a
Gnuwin32 version of diff. You can apply the patches if you install the
gnuwin32 version of diff and patch, and put the location of the bin folder
of gnuwin32 in your PATH in environment variables in XP. Otherwise, the
patch file are not very big and the changes can be made by hand - provided
that the patch files should be edited anyways to make sure the paths to your
Miktex installations match.

 The patches are in relation to latex2html-2002.tar.gz, and make sure you
edit them so you enter the correct short and long paths to your
installation. Apart from the changes outlined here, I followed the tutorial
http://feynman.faii.etsii.upm.es/~seidel/l2h/l2h_eng.html

So, I downloaded latex2html-2002.tar.gz, and expanded it into
C:\latex2html-2002.

So, basically, the first patch is here: http://pastebin.com/f2bdc11f8 -
download and save as C:\latex2html-2002.patch
then, inside the command terminal (Run / cmd):
cd C:\
patch -p0 -i latex2html-2002.patch

then you can configure:
cd latex2html-2002
config.bat

everything should run fine, apart from
checking for pnmflip... no
checking for ppmquant... no
(which seem to be deprecated nowadays)

as soon as config is ran, then the other patch should be ran - download from
here: http://pastebin.com/f32591586 and save it as C:\postconfig.patch.
Again, edit the directories to match your installations - note that again it
deals mostly with the format of the quotaion marks for the directories with
spaces in them ...

apply the patch:
cd C:\
patch -p0 -i postconfig.patch
then you can try to run test.bat - it should generate the webpage nodes,
displaying a formula as an image, complaining only with:
Unknown commands: formulas basicinc

then you can run install.bat, the only problem should be
initexmf: This utility does not accept non-option arguments.

You could then try to build the examples - but you will need the Gnu make
utility - the gnuwin32 make does the trick.. For instance, I tried (assuming
my install dir is C:\bin\latex2html)
cd C:\bin\latex2html\docs\hthtml
C:\bin\latex2html\docs\hthtml>\bin\gnuwin32\bin\make.exe (assuming the bin
of gnuwin32 is in C:\bin\gnuwin32\bin\)

I'm getting an error at the end:
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, while grep "Rerun to get cross-references
rig
ht" hthtml.log; do latex hthtml.tex; done, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make: *** [hthtml.dvi] Error 2

otherwise, trying the installed batch file:
\bin\latex2html\bin\latex2html.bat intro.tex
works nicely with simple tex files so far, except for an occasional error
like:

$* is no longer supported at \bin\latex2html\bin\latex2html.bat line 10553.

Well, hope this can help someone - otherwise, if anyone has any ideas about
the errors above, it would be nice to read about them...

Cheers