[l2h] [pdftex] DVI to HTML mechanism demo

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 14:39:54 CET 2007

On 10/27/07, Graham Toal <gtoal at gtoal.com> wrote:

> Hello folks, it's a long time since I've been involved in the TeX
> world, and I'ld like to say I'm back, but I'm just dropping in for a
> short visit.
>
> Every now and then I wish I could do my web sites in TeX (and more
> frequently, set a little maths in a web page) and I check to see if
> there is an implementation of TeX in existence which generates plain
> HTML web pages - i.e no plugin required, and not simply embedding a
> large graphic image of a pahe in HTML.
> [...]

Have you seen jsMath: <http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/> (as
used for the SAGE notebook)?

Some quotes from the above site:

"The jsMath package provides a method of including mathematics in HTML
pages that works across multiple browsers under Windows, Macintosh OS
X, Linux and other flavors of unix. It overcomes a number of the
shortcomings of the traditional method of using images to represent
mathematics: jsMath uses native fonts, so they resize when you change
the size of the text in your browser, they print at the full
resolution of your printer, and you don't have to wait for dozens of
images to be downloaded in order to see the mathematics in a web page.
There are also advantages for web-page authors, as there is no need to
preprocess your web pages to generate any images, and the mathematics
is entered in TeX form, so it is easy to create and maintain your web
pages."

"JsMath is a collection of JavaScript programs that make it possible
to display mathematics within web pages. It works across multiple
browsers and hardware platforms, without the need for additional
downloads or plugins on the part of the user. (It helps, however, if
the user installs a set of math fonts, but that is not required.)
Unlike methods that represent mathematics using images, the equations
generated by jsMath will be correctly sized in relation to the
surrounding text, regardless of the font size set by the user, and can
even resize properly if the user changes the font size on the fly. If
the math fonts are installed, the equations will print at the full
resolution of the printer, and if not, the user can request a
hi-resolution version of the page for printing purposes."

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia