[l2h] Format of array of formulae

Alan Fry ajf at afco.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 23 15:51:35 CET 2006

Hi Ross,

Thank you for your reply.

On 22 Nov 2006, at 21:36, Ross Moore wrote:

<snip>

>> I see 'latex2html' declares <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD
>> HTML 3.2 Final//EN"> under which widths in the TD tag must be a
>> number. But percentages are allowed under <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
>> "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/
>> html4/loose.dtd"> and I wonder if that could not be used instead?
>
> Have you tried:
>
>  latex2html  -html_version 4.1  .....
>
> or maybe just
>
>  latex2html  -html_version 4.0  .....

I hadn't realised I was behind the times and must do something about
that.

>>> Personally, many of my mathematician friends who need to
>>> do a lot of LaTeX coding feel that it is generally better
>>> to use the {amsmath} environments.
>>> LaTeX2HTML handles these quite well too.
>>
>> My apologies if this newcomer to 'latex2html' is tramping over
>> well worn ground here.
>
> The "real" way forward is to use CSS style-sheets.
> These can be prepared independent of the LaTeX2HTML processing,
> and then applied to the job.
>
> See Chapter 4 of "The LaTeX Web Companion" for a discussion of how
> this can be achieved, with some simplistic examples.

Right – I haven't set eyes on this yet and will bury my nose in it
before asking any more questions.

It might be of interest to others on this list to know what I am
trying to do. A friend of mine runs an extensive web-site which
supports his (UK) 'A-level' mathematics teaching activity. The
project under consideration is to rewrite this material in LaTeX and
generate an HTML version from that. At the moment the prime source is
the body of HTML files from which a 'printable' PDF Ebook version is
derived. That process is both laborious and barely satisfactory – the
cart is before the horse so to speak. Any comments or suggestions
from time to time that might have a bearing on such a project would
be most welcome.

Regards,

Alan Fry