[l2h] plastex

Igor Peshansky pechtcha at cs.nyu.edu
Wed Nov 15 16:13:14 CET 2006

Top-posting reformatted...

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > Top-posting reformatted.

> >> plasTeX doesn't work for me in cygwin.
> >>
> >> I have what appears to be the latest Python available for cygwin,
> >> namely: Python 2.4.3 (#1, May 18 2006, 07:40:45)
> >>
> >> I get the following error when I try to run plastex (from the directory
> >> cygdrive/d/WP/TeXutils/plastex-0.6.2/plasTeX):
> >>
> >> $./plastex
> >> Traceback (most recent call last):
> >> File "./plastex", line 4, in ?
> >> import plasTeX
> >> ImportError: No moudle named plasTeX
> >
> > I imagine you typed the above in instead of pasting it...  However,
> > that's not what you should have run according to the INSTALL file,
> > anyway.
> >
> >> The release notes for plasTeX say it "now works" with Python 2.5. Does
> >> this mean it does NOT work with Python 2.4.3, and that's the error? Or
> >> something else?
> >
> > Something else.  Once I followed the directions in the INSTALL file, I
> > was able to run plasTeX to completion with no "missing module" errors
> > using Python 2.4.3 under Cygwin.  I cannot vouch for the quality of
> > the HTML produced, however, nor for the sophistication of the LaTeX
> > code accepted.
> > 	Igor
>
> No, I did NOT type the lines doubly quoted below that begin with
                                                  ^now above [IP]
> "$./plastex"; those lines are from the script plastex, as I said.  What
> I had done was to try the command:  python plastex

The reason I assumed you typed them in is the typo in the word "moudle",
which is not the error Cygwin python would have produced.  But then, I
also assumed you were using Cygwin python, which you are not.

> I did not realize that I have to use the instructions in the file
> INSTALL (which doesn't even have an extension of txt to suggest reading
> it!).

FWIW, I did ask whether you followed the instructions in the INSTALL file.

> Anyway, now I read it.  So first I downloaded and installed the
> requisite Python Imaging Library.  As I already have ghostscript
> installed, I didn't try to use either dvi2bitmap or dvipng.
>
> Following the instructions in INSTALL, I then tried command:
>
>    python setup.py install
>
> I get a pop-up window from the 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem saying:
>
>    Command Prompt - python setup.py install
>    The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>    CS:0660 IP:01a9 OP:65 63 69 66 79
>    Choose 'Close" to terminate the application.python
>
> I'm using ActiveState's ActivePython 2.4.3, and I have in my path:
> d:\language\activestate\python\.   [including the period]
>
> What now??

Try using the Cygwin python.  There's obviously a problem with the version
of ActiveState installed on your machine.  Also, I imagine you'd have
exactly the same problems running your commands from a DOS shell with your
current setup, effectively eliminating Cygwin from the picture.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/