[l2h] plastex

Murray Eisenberg murray at math.umass.edu
Mon Nov 13 22:54:12 CET 2006

No, I did NOT type the lines doubly quoted below that begin with
"$./plastex"; those lines are from the script plastex, as I said.  What
I had done was to try the command:  python plastex

I did not realize that I have to use the instructions in the file
INSTALL (which doesn't even have an extension of txt to suggest reading
it!).  Anyway, now I read it.  So first I downloaded and installed the
requisite Python Imaging Library.  As I already have ghostscript
installed, I didn't try to use either dvi2bitmap or dvipng.

Following the instructions in INSTALL, I then tried command:

   python setup.py install

I get a pop-up window from the 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem saying:

   Command Prompt - python setup.py install
   The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
   CS:0660 IP:01a9 OP:65 63 69 66 79
   Choose 'Close" to terminate the application.python

I'm using ActiveState's ActivePython 2.4.3, and I have in my path:
d:\language\activestate\python\.   [including the period]

What now??

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305