[l2h] Math formula background color?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon May 1 09:55:53 CEST 2006

On 01/05/2006, at 3:01 PM, Philipp K. Janert, Ph.D. wrote:

> No, there are no black bars on the left/bottom
> in this example. I have seen them before though,
> in a similar situation.
>
> Is there anything I can/should do to make sure
> the image backgrounds are successfully turned
> transparent? Adding \htmlimage{transparent}
> does not help.

Adding some extra space often helps;
e.g.  \,  at the start or end of the maths.

This adds horizontal space.
To tell whether this might work, is the column
of pixels down the leftmost or rightmost edge
of the image pure gray ?
If not, then that's the side which needs a bit
more space.

If both edges are OK, then what about the top
and bottom rows of pixels ?
If these are not entirely gray -- must be the
same shade; anti-aliasing can upset this ---
then that may be why you don't get transparency.

I know that this kind of thing can be annoying;
it boils down to a pixel-by-pixel thing.

You might try increasing the  $MATH_SCALE_FACTOR
getting slightly larger images. This often helps
in this kind of situation.

Or just adding  \htmlimage{scale=1.1}  to the
particular math environment might help.

Have you read the section on LaTeX2HTML in
  The LaTeX Web Companion ?

There may some ideas in there that are appropriate
to the kind of document that you wish to produce;
e.g.
the distinction between 'novice', 'pro' and 'expert'
for mathematics processing.

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au