[l2h] Need double spacing and space after a prime in .html file produ. with LaTeX2HTML

Lawrence Patrick Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 07:37:44 CET 2006

I am using version latex2html-2002-2-1, otherwise known as version 1.70 of
LaTeX2HTML, along with some Netpbm-10.28-1 software packages, altogether in
a Fedora, Core-3-Linux operating system.  For some mathematical expressions
within text, especially in cases involving algebraic fractions typed in the
form of, say for example $\frac{xyz^2}{q^2 r^2}$, in a LaTeX file of the
form MyLaTeXFile.tex, LaTeX2HTML made a larger-than-usual interline spacing.
  For the sake of appearance I would like the interline spacing to be
uniform in the text of a document which contains within-text mathematical
expressions.  For a general solution to this challenge it would be nice to
have a way to make, say the MyLaTeXFile.html output file double-spaced when
produced with a command of the form "latex2html ....... MyLaTeXFile.tex".
In a number of cases I think I could solve things by writing my within-text
fractions as, say $mv$/$q$ using the diagonal instead of the horizontal
fraction line.  However, even this technique produced larger-than-the-usual
interline spacing for a LaTeX expression of the form $B_o$/$\sqrt{2}$.  Also
just the Greek letter $\chi$ in text in the LaTeX file resulted in a
larger-than-normal interline spacing in the corresponding, .html, output
file; in this case I think the problem may have been one of a negative or
positive vertical offset of the Greek letter chi relative to the line of
text in which it was located.  I found at least one way to make a file of
the form MyLaTeXFile.dvi double-spaced when I previewed it after producing
it via a command of the form "latex MyLaTeXFile.tex".  Double spacing seems
to be a good, general solution for within-text mathematical expressions
containing algebraic fractions in a file of the form MyLaTeXFile.dvi, if the
algebraic expressions are not too long and/or complex-looking.  But after
trying a number of possible LaTeX commands, so far I haven't found any
simple command I could successfully use in a file of the form
MyLaTeXFile.tex which after a command of the form "latex2html .......
MyLaTeXFile.tex" resulted in double spacing in the so-produced output file
of the form MyLaTeXFile.html.  I think I would even settle for a complex
solution two to four long lines long in the file of the form
MyLaTeXFile.tex, if one exists.  How can I "sow the seed" for double spacing
in a LaTeX file to have the "fruit" of double spacing in the .html file
produced by LaTeX2HTML from the LaTeX file?  I suppose even modifying the
Perl code in LaTeX2HTML might be a way to deal with this; I don't know Perl
and haven't looked into this possibility.  A further question is whether one
is allowed to modify the Perl code in LaTeX2HTML or not.

A second challenge is that for within-text algebraic expressions which end
in a prime, for example $z^2 y$/$x'$ in a LaTeX file of the form
MyLaTeXFile.tex I found that the prime at times ended up too close to the
text which followed it in the file of the form MyLaTeXFile.html produced via
a command of the form "latex2html ..... MyLaTeXFile.tex".  The things I
tried in the file of the form MyLaTeXFile.tex to produce the space I wanted
did not succeed in the .html file produced from it using LaTeX2HTML.  What
command in the .tex file will successfully produce a space after a prime in
the .html file produced by LaTeX2HTML?

If you can afford the time to make simple tests of your LaTeX ideas by
seeing what kind of .html, output file you obtain via the execution of
LaTeX2HTML on the LaTeX file, I would prefer you do that before submitting
solutions here.  A reason for this is that there may be some
well-established LaTeX solutions, especially for double spacing, which work
well in a .dvi file produced by a command of the form "latex...", but which
some of you might be surprised to learn do not work in a .html file produced
with a command of the form "latex2html.......".  Thanks in advance for your
help.

Pat