[l2h] Re: latex2html question

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Feb 3 02:56:50 CET 2006

Hello Ruye,

On 03/02/2006, at 12:29 PM, RWANG at THUBAN.AC.HMC.EDU wrote:

> Dear ross,
> I have a quick question regarding latex2html. On one computer,
> latex2html
> will generate all math formular images with a shade on the left and
> bottom
> of the formula,  while I run latex2html on another computer, the
> shading
> is gone. How do I turn off this thing?

That's not going to be easy.

The problem is that you have different versions, on the different
computers,
of some of the other pieces of software that LaTeX2HTML uses.

Relevant software is:  dvips  and  the  netpbm utilities.

dvips is relevant, because it changed the way TeX \rule commands are
represented in the PostScript that it generates; viz.
  should the top of the line be at the current typesetting height
  in the document, or is that where the middle should be ?

This may have switched with later versions of this software.

pnmcrop  (from the netpbm  utilities) is relevant since this is
what should be cropping away the "cropping bars" which is the
shade that you see.
This is a vital step in getting the images to the correct size,
so as to align properly with the base-line of surrounding text
in an HTML browser's display window.

At present my advice is to find out what versions of these
pieces of software are installed on your two machines.
Tell me these versions.

A.
If  dvips  is different, then do some tests with \hrule
and \rule commands --- try to determine if this is different.

On the rules that LaTeX2HTML uses, the difference could result
in just 1pt or less in the position.

B.
If pnmcrop is different, then run your LaTeX2HTML jobs again,
but with the  -debug  command-line option.
Have a close look at the images that are produced, in the
temporary location.
In particular, look along the bottom row of pixels, where
there is a cropping-bar remaining.
These pixels *should* all be the same colour.
You'll probably see that they are not, else the bar would
have been cropped away in the final image.

Until I know exactly what is going wrong, there's not a lot
that you can do --- apart from manually cropping the bad images
using some appropriate graphics editing tools.

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au