[l2h] Strange latex2html and bibtex interaction

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Sep 11 04:23:05 CEST 2005

Hello Jan,

On 10/09/2005, at 10:01 PM, Jan Tobias Muehlberg wrote:

> Hi Ross,
>

>> LaTeX2HTML just inputs the  .bbl  file that was created when
>> you processed your file with  LaTeX + BibTeX, etc.
>> However, this happens *after* \input files have been interpolated
>> into the full job. This means that your use of \input within
>> the bibliography is interpreted as an unknown command, which is
>> then passed over to LaTeX to interpret -- hence the image.
>>

> Well. I assume that there is no way to make LaTeX2HTML
> interpolate \input inside the .bbl file?

Not easily, as that stage in the processing has been long passed.
It is handled by the  texexpand  utility at the very beginning
of the job.

>>  \begin{thebibliography}{99}
>>   ... put the .bbl file's contents here ...
>>  \end{thebibliography}
>>  [...]
>>  \begin{thebibliography}{99}
>>   \input{<filename>.bbl}
>>  \end{thebibliography}
>>

> \begin{thebibliography} and \end{thebibliography} is not required
> since it's already in the .bbl.

OK.

> You mean I should leave the \bibliography{<filename>} out, use
> sed to add \bibdata{} to the .aux and then simply input the .bbl?
> Doesn't work: I'm getting a nice bibliography in the PDF output
> (same as before) but references in the HTML output look like
> [#!weber:success_of_os!#] and there's no bibliography at all.

Hmm. Maybe the 'bbl' extension isn't being accepted as a valid
name for an input file.

Try setting the  $DO_INCLUDE  Perl variable  (see l2hconf.pm ).
e.g.
  add to  latex2html-init :

   if ($DO_INCLUDE) { $DO_INCLUDE .= ':bbl' }
   else {  $DO_INCLUDE = 'bbl' };

> Is there a way to insert commands into the .tex file that are
> only interpreted by LaTeX2HTML?

Yes, indeed.   Make sure you   \usepackage{html} .
Then use conditional coding environments:

\begin{htmlonly}
\end{htmlonly}

and comments

   %begin{latexonly}
   %end{latexonly}

e.g.

   %begin{latexonly}
    \bibliography{<filename>}
   %end{latexonly}
   \begin{htmlonly}
    \input{<filename>.bbl}
   \end{htmlonly}

Sorry I don't have an example easily at hand for testing,
If the above ideas don't work for you, please send
a cut-down example which I can work with.

Best regards,

     Ross Moore

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au