[l2h] eqnarray still not right

Thomas Bewley bewley at ucsd.edu
Sat Nov 5 04:01:40 CET 2005

Hi John -
My experience is that the ams environments (align, align*, aligned,
alignat, etc) are more
powerful and work better than eqnarray, both when compiling with
latex (the spacing looks
more natural, to my eye at least) and in latex2html.  Is that an
acceptable workaround for you?
Have you tried it?  Their syntax is very similar, so it shouldn't be
a difficult change to put into
the latex source...
- Tom
ps - an unrelated point, but, apparently, no one has yet taken a
crack at solving the subequations
problem I reported to this mailing list (on 24 Oct).  That one is
seriously in my way, I can't put my book
online unless I find a workaround for this problem - it seems like
this is not an unreasonable thing
for latex2html to be able to handle?  Unfortunately, I don't seem to
have the savvy to do it myself...

On Nov 3, 2005, at 2:42, John Blackburn wrote:

> When processing \eqnarray environments, l2h right justifies the
> equations to near the center of the screen using the WIDTH="50%"
> HTML tag (HTML version 4.0 onwards. In earlier versions, eqns are
> right justified to the right of the screen). However, this does not
> emulate the behaviour of latex. Latex right justifies the equations
> such that the longest equation is CENTERED on the screen (paper).
> To emulate this behaviour you would need to do a calculation to
> figure out what percentage for WIDTH is needed then use WIDTH= X %.
> It cannot simply be set to 50%.
>
> The current behavour with 50% means that long equations will start
> near the left of the screen which is not consistent with \equation
> formulas which are centered. The result can be quite jarring.
>
> Any chance of improving this? :-)
>
> John Blackburn.

Prof. Thomas Bewley
Director, Flow Control Lab