[l2h] correction concerning cropping problems

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Nov 2 00:02:13 CET 2005

Hello Julien,

On 01/11/2005, at 8:05 PM, Tribulations Parallèles wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have found this page:
>
> http://www.danielclemente.com/linux/l2h.html
>
> ... and I have realized why there is blank space at the bottom of
> equation
> images. So my solution with multiple call to pnmcrop is not really

Yes. That space is important for correct alignment of baselines.

It can make lines wider, but the solution here is to set a constant
line-width in the .css file.
LaTeX2HTML cannot do this automatically, without also setting the
font-size. But this is something that users ought to be able to choose
for themselves, when surfing your pages.

> interesting. I propose something slightly different (but dirty too):
>
> $cmd .= "| $PNMCROP $croparg";
>
> to replace by:
>
> $cmd .= "| /usr/bin/convert -gravity south -chop 0x2 - - | $PNMCROP
> $croparg
> ";

I'd prefer to locate why your images are coming out badly.
It sounds like a small misalignment of the "cropping-bars".

> in pstoimg. It works well in Konqueror. In Firefox 1.5 beta 2, the
> html bug
> concerning align=middle has been corrected, so it works also very
> well.
>
> My question concerning the quality of equation images stands by ;-)

Are you using anti-aliased scalable fonts ?
This should give good results.

If you are stuck with bitmaps, then the quality is not so good.

Please post a link to a page that shows the poor quality
that you are getting. If you can make the  images.log  file
available too, then that can help in diagnosing the problem.

Better stil is to run the job with  -debug  and allow access
to the full directory, and subdirectories that result.
Also make available a copy of the screen messages.

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au